Extending seal life, reducing excessive downtime and avoiding costly pressurised double seal unit upgrades on an ink manufacturers’ Buhler Cobra Vertical Bead Mills.
Unacceptable bead mill mechanical seal reliability was causing excessive downtime and extra repair costs with production and revenue impacts.
NASH was asked to examine the circumstances surrounding Buhler Seal and Bearing Head problems and suggest a cost-effective solution.
Complete seal and bearing head units were sent to us for examination and repair.
After reviewing seal condition and service history, we found that:
- Seal failures were caused by a combination of process upsets and poor maintenance
We consequently advised the client to:
- Change the seal oil flush and filters more often
- Replace head units before the recommended maximum seal life was reached
- Tighten up on production management to reduce process upsets
- Upgrades to costly pressurised double seal units were avoided
- Seal life was restored and improved beyond previously acceptable levels