A compressor user was unhappy with oil seal performance on a selective hydrotreater compressor at their refinery. Consequently, they needed a more effective and reliable seal solution. They also wanted practical advice and service support for sustaining improved reliability.
The existing oil seals on a selective hydrotreater compressor leaked well over 100 gallons per day despite less than 12 months in operation. The turbomachinery OEM’s support offering did not meet the requirements of the user.
With their lack of confidence in both the compressor OEM and the installed seals, the user turned to the Kaydon in search of a more appropriate solution.
- Evaluate the condition of the existing seals
- Review the operation of the compressor
- Provide an inspection report c/w photographic evidence and insight into the cause of the excessive sour oil leakage
- Replace existing seals with specially modified Kaydon K-BOS Bushing Oil Seals
- Bespoke design to handle high oil pressure (3000 psi) and corrosive process gas containing high levels of H2S
- Undertake comprehensive dynamic test at users operating parameters prior to shipment
- Seal performance verified by testing prior to installation
- Improved seal and compressor reliability
- Leakage reduced 95% to < 5 gallons/day
- Responsive, high-quality seal support
For more details on this case study, or to discuss how we can help with repair, maintenance and support for your high-dependency mechanical seals, contact us.