Quick response to a last-minute seal problem minimises delay in commissioning new plant
When a new, unused Fluiten GTA 180mm pressurised double seal was damaged during the inspection of a 3V Cogeim filter dryer prior to commissioning, the user needed a quick response to avoid delays in commissioning a new plant. There was no spare seal nor spare seal parts available. Consequently, the user lost no time contacting NASH Mechanical Seal Services, the authorised Distributor & Service Centre for Fluiten in the UK & Ireland.
The seal was shipped to NASH the same day. Upon receipt, it was quickly stripped, inspected and the cause of failure identified. The sleeve had clearly contacted the inboard silicon carbide stationary seal ring during either fitting or removal and the seal ring was cracked right through (see Fig 1).
Seal repair workscope:
- Replace inboard stationary seal ring
- Relap 3 faces
- Re-use all other components
- Design and manufacture a transit & fitting gag (see Fig 2)
- Assemble and pressure test
The seal was repaired and tested in 7 working days and returned to site c/w transit and fitting gag. The seal cartridge was installed successfully and the filter dryer was finally commissioned without further delay. The client subsequently ordered a seal spares kit.
- Quick repair service ensured lost production was minimised.
- The design & manufacture of a transit & fitting gag ensured the seal could not be damaged again in the same way during transportation, installation or removal
- The spares kit provided effective cover for future planned and unplanned seal outages
NASH was able to help the client by providing a fast response and we also helped them to eliminate the possibility of any recurrence of the problem. Please contact us if you need support for any of your engineered mechanical seals – we’d be delighted to help.