A compressor user was unhappy with flash gas compressor seal performance on one of their North Sea assets. They needed a more effective and reliable seal solution along with practical advice and service support for sustaining improved reliability.
The original OEM seals on 4 flash gas compressors (2 trains) were leaking well over 1200 litres per day, often despite less than 12 months in operation. The annual cost of managing this level of oil leakage was in excess of £10,000,000.
The user ultimately decided this was simply not sustainable and turned to NASH and Kaydon in search of a better mechanical seal solution.
- Evaluate the design and condition of the existing seals
- Review the operation of the compressors
- Verify all application details
- Confirm all relevant compressor dimensions
- Replace original OEM loose seals with Kaydon K-BOS Bushing/Bushing Oil Seal Cartridges
- Bespoke design to fit the existing seal envelopes & duty conditions of both LP & HP compressors
- Undertake comprehensive factory dynamic test at users operating parameters prior to shipping
- No need to modify the compressors or seal oil systems
- Considerable saving compared with upgrading to DGS
- Seal performance verified by testing prior to installation
- Improved seal and compressor reliability
- Leakage reduced by over 90%
For more details about this case study, or to discuss how we can help you with the repair, upgrade or replacement of your compressor seals, please contact us.