Two pairs of Kaydon K-MOS oil seals were repaired in under two weeks when typical lead times are eight weeks.
An international chemical manufacturer’s Siemens Compressor train had to be closed down because of unacceptable seal oil leakage to sour oil drain. To compound the problem, no serviceable spare seal units were available.
NASH received the 4 Kaydon seals from both compressors. Our evaluation quickly confirmed that all of them:
- Were badly coked on all process-side surfaces
- Were coated internally with hot oil residue
- Had clearly run hot
We repaired and rebuilt the seals with:
- New outboard carbon bushes
- New inboard carbon faces
- Re-coated and re-lapped shoulders
- New secondaries and springs
The seals were also:
- Dynamically tested
- Returned to site within two weeks
- The compressor train was back in service within 3 weeks
- Unplanned production losses were minimised